Munuscript Submission Guidelines
Manuscript Submission Guidelines for the “Journal of Japanese Literature & Language in Taiwan”
Revised and passed by the General Assembly on December 21st, 2002
Revised and passed by the General Assembly on December 20th, 2003
Revised and passed by the General Assembly on December 17th, 2005
Revised and passed by the General Assembly on December 16th, 2006
Revised and passed by the General Assembly on December 15th, 2007
Revised and passed by the General Assembly on December 19th, 2015
Revised and passed by the General Assembly on December 15th, 2018
Revised and passed by the Boards of Directors and Supervisors on March 16th, 2019
Revised and passed by the Boards of Directors and Supervisors on October 25th, 2019
Revised and passed by the Boards of Directors and Supervisors on October 30th, 2020
1. The Guidelines shall be implemented in accordance with the resolution of the General Assembly held on December 15th, 2018.
2. The objective of the Journal: The Journal is a semi-annual publication aiming to provide a space for members of the Association to publish their papers.
3. Content of papers: The Journal will accept only unpublished:
(1) research papers and (2) teaching/research reports on Japanese language, Japanese literature, Japanese language education, Japanese cultures, and other Japan related topics. Master’s theses, doctoral theses, and thesis translations will not be accepted.
4. Submission qualifications: Only members who have already paid the membership fee for the year two months before the submission deadline and permanent members may submit a paper for publication.
5. Manuscript format:
(a) Horizontal writing in Microsoft Word and saving the manuscript as a “.docx” file.
(b) Language: Chinese or Japanese only.
(c) Paper size: A4.
(d) Font: 標楷體 (for Chinese), Times New Roman (for English), and MS Mincho (for Japanese). Font size: 14pt for title, 12pt for author’s information (name, affiliation, academic position) and body of the manuscript, and 10pt for footnotes.
(e) Page margins: top: 5.35cm, bottom: 4.35cm, left: 3.5cm, right: 3.5cm.
(f) Number of characters: 30 words per line, 30 lines per page.
(g) Number of pages: No more than 30 pages in total, including Chinese, English, and Japanese abstracts and full text (including figures, tables, references, and data).
(h) Abstract and keywords: Chinese, English, and Japanese abstracts shall not exceed 1 page each (including title, author’s name, affiliation, and academic position). Please refer to article #4 for font size. There shall be no more than 5 keywords listed under each abstract.
(i) Title shall be centered, with author’s name under the title, and affiliation under the name. For affiliation, please do not specify “full-time” (for a full-time position). However, please specify if your position is “adjunct” (for an adjunct position), or “master student” or “doctoral student” (for a graduate student).
(j) Please use Arabic numerals (example: 1, 2, 3, etc.) for section and chapter numbering (subsections can be numbered 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc.). Please do not start numbering with “0”.
(k) Footnotes shall appear at the bottom of the page, numbered 1, 2, 3, etc.
(l) References: For a thesis written in Japanese, the list of references shall begin with Japanese references (in the order of the Gojūon), followed by Chinese references (in the order of the numbers of strokes in the Chinese characters), and then English references (in the alphabetical order). For a thesis written in Chinese, the list of references shall begin with Chinese references, followed by Japanese references, and then English references, in the same orders as above. Book references shall be written in the following format: author/editor, year of publication, book title, edition, place of publication, publisher, and page number. Journal article references shall be written in the following format: author, year of publication, article title, journal title, vol., place of publication, publisher, and page number. Proceedings references shall be written in the same format as book references. For internet references, source, URL, and time of query shall be listed.
(a) The Editorial Team is composed of all the directors and supervisors of the Association. The chairman of the Board of Directors shall serve as the chief editor and the vice chairman the deputy chief editor.
(b) Reviewers shall be professionals in the field in which the thesis to be reviewed is written and shall be at least 1 level higher than the contributor in principle.
(c) In cases where the contributor is a professor, reviewers can be of the same level as the contributor but shall not serve in the same university as the contributor.
(d) Contributor may submit a list of avoidance to remove 1 or 2 reviewers considered not suitable.
(e) A contribution shall be reviewed by 2 reviewers. In cases where at least 1 reviewer decided the contribution is not recommended for publication, the contribution shall be reviewed by a third reviewer.
(f)The review fee for 1 reviewer per review is NT$1000 (NT$2000 in total), which shall be paid by the contributor. In cases where a third review is required, the fee shall be divided equally between the contributor and the Association.
(g)Limited to 1 submission per person.
7. Submission: Please send 3 anonymous printed copies of the manuscript written in required format, a CD-ROM containing a Word file of the contribution with the author’s name and a PDF file without the name (or these files can be submitted through email), the personal information form, and the copyright license agreement (the form and the agreement are available on the Association’s website at http://taiwannichigo.greater.jp for printing) via registered mailing service to “Department of Japanese Language and Cultures, Soochow University, No. 70, Linxi Rd., Shilin Dist., Taipei City 111, Taiwan” with the postmark date before March 1st (for the first issue of that year) or August 31st (for the second issue of that year). The NT$2000 review fee shall be paid in cash, sent via registered value-declared letter.
8. The e-Journal will be published along with the Journal. The publication right of the papers published in the Journal (and the e-Journal) belongs to the Association while the copyright of the papers belongs to their authors.